Modern automakers must meet fuel economy standards set by governing bodies. They must ensure a vehicle’s performance as well as its sustainability. A primary factor that impacts a car’s fuel economy is its weight. This is why plastic is growing in popularity.
Did you know that lightweight plastics make up roughly 50% of a vehicle’s volume, but only 10% of its weight?
It offers a lightweight alternative to metal or other popular materials. And as a result, has become a critical component in vehicle development.
Read on to learn about its use in auto interiors and how plastic injection molding has made this possible.
How Is Plastic Injection Molding Used for Auto Interiors?
Injection modeling is a manufacturing process where manufacturers pour molten material into a mold of the desired shape. This method works for a wide range of materials. But due to its many advantages, plastic injection molding has been gaining popularity in the automotive industry.
Why Is Plastic a Popular Choice for Interior Parts
Polymer offers a diverse range of benefits. It is scratch resistant making it durable for long-life products such as cars. Plastic can also help reduce noise or vibration caused by the vehicle, delivering a smoother ride for passengers.
Recycled polymers offer a host of environmental benefits. Plastics from post-consumer water bottles or post-consumer fibres diverts plastics from landfills or oceans. It also creates cost efficiencies. As well, it is more sustainable because it diverts plastics from landfills or oceans.
What Can Plastic Injection Molding Be Used For?
There is an increasing reliance on plastic for both its versatility and its weight in a vehicle’s interior design.
Here are some of the ways plastic is used in auto interiors:
- Interior accessories including lighting, cup holders, storage spaces, and armrests
- Car upholstery including door panels and seats
What Are the Benefits of Plastic Injection Molding?
Plastic injection molding has many advantages over alternative plastic molding methods. Some of these benefits include:
- Speed & efficiency: Plastic injection molding tends to be faster than other methods. It leads to higher output rates and lower downtime between cycles.
- Customization: Plastics are not limited in their color or elasticity. It offers limitless customization.
- Labor efficiencies: Plastic injection molding is largely automated. Human oversight is minimal and allows cost efficiencies when it comes to the workforce.
- Design flexibility: There is almost no limit on the design on parts using injection molding.
Environmental benefits: Waste or excess plastic produced during the process can be reused for future parts. This minimizes the environmental impact.
Find the Plastic Injection Molding That Is Right for You
Plastic injection molding is a versatile manufacturing process that offers cost efficiencies, environmental benefits, and flexibility to those who produce auto interiors. From car upholstery to interior parts, manufacturers are relying on plastic injection molding for auto interiors.
Therefore, request a quote today.